The Public Education Department is accepting comments on updated social studies standards written by dozens of New Mexico educators to ensure all children have the tools they need to be college, career and civic ready. The proposed repeal of 6.29.11 NMAC, Social Studies, to be replaced with 6.29.11 NMAC, Social Studies, establishes the academic content and performance standards for social studies for grades kindergarten through 12. The social studies standards include six strands: (1) civics; (2) economics; (3) geography; (4) history; (5) ethnic, cultural, and identity standards; and (6) inquiry. You can read the proposed standards other information on the NMPED’s Social Studies Standards update webpage.
Written comments may be submitted through 5 p.m. Friday, Nov. 12:
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- By regular mail addressed to John Sena, Policy Division, New Mexico Public Education Department, 300 Don Gaspar Ave., Room 121, Santa Fe, NM, 87501.
- By fax to 505-827-6520.
The PED has announced that it will conduct a public hearing at which the public may speak about the proposed standards on Friday, November 12, 2021 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. (MDT) via Zoom for
- the proposed repeal and replace of 6.29.11 NMAC, Social Studies.
- Link: https://zoom.us/j/95261645812?...
- Passcode: Policy2021
- Or One tap mobile:
- US: +16699006833,,95261645812# or +12532158782,,95261645812# or Telephone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 929 205 6099 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799
- Webinar ID: 952 6164 5812
- International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/adcuJ7c7Py